In the onset of the iPhone 4s announcement, I proposed a fun idea and concept on DeviantART, and it blew up in popularity. Hundreds of comments, emails, and article requests later, I wished I had been more serious about this design and went further into explaining the reasoning behind it.
The idea behind this design was:
- The home button is still clickable (or provides haptic feedback), like a Mac trackpad
- The silver strip on the bottom the includes the home button and the LEDs acts like a trackpad, letting users perform swipe gestures without obscuring the screen.
- The ambient light sensor determines the brightness for the home button as well as the screen
- The LED lights on the right show:
- Battery life in green
- Flash white for any unread notifications using Notification Center
- Turn orange for No Service/No Connection
- Flash Red for extremely low battery